WHITEHORSE, YT, Oct. 22, 2020 /CNW/ – The Authorities of Canada and the Authorities of Yukon are working carefully collectively to make sure households have entry to reasonably priced, high-quality and protected early studying and little one care alternatives and to handle new challenges introduced on by the COVID-19 pandemic.
At this time, the Minister of Households, Kids and Social Growth, Ahmed Hussen, and the Yukon Minister of Well being and Social Companies, Pauline Frost, introduced further help for early studying and little one care via a one-year Canada-Yukon Early Studying and Little one Care Settlement.
The settlement allocates over $2.4 million in 2020-21 for early studying and little one care investments in Yukon. Specifically, Yukon will put money into skilled growth coaching for early childhood educators, bursaries for college students finding out early childhood schooling, piloting a rural little one care technique, addressing well being and security wants in licensed little one care centres, increasing the Grandparents Grant and Teen Guardian Grant applications, and creating areas for youngsters with disabilities, amongst different initiatives.
This settlement builds on the commitments made within the Multilateral Early Studying and Little one Care Framework and descriptions Yukon’s distinctive little one care wants and priorities, together with these ensuing from the COVID-19 pandemic. It’ll make sure that funding continues to be obtainable to help little one care applications and providers for Yukon households in 2020-21.
As well as, the Authorities of Canada not too long ago introduced $625 million to handle the diminished availability of kid care and the distinctive wants stemming from the pandemic throughout Canada with the Secure Restart Settlement. This yr, the Authorities of Canada will make investments practically $1.2 billion in whole in early studying and little one care.
“Little one care shouldn’t be a comfort, it’s a necessity. Excessive-quality early studying experiences are important to the event of our youngsters, and the provision of reasonably priced, versatile little one care can be key to making sure Canadian mother and father can return to work so our financial system can get better from this disaster. The Authorities of Canada is happy to proceed working with the Authorities of Yukon to make sure that all kids and households in Yukon have equal entry to the protected, high quality early studying and little one care they should succeed.”
– The Honourable Ahmed Hussen, Minister of Households, Kids and Social Growth
“The COVID-19 pandemic has emphasised how vital little one care is for the well-being of our households. This settlement with the Authorities of Canada will assist us reply to Yukon’s distinctive wants and can profit our financial system. I’m pleased with our steady work with households, First Nations governments, non-government organizations, the non-public sector and early childhood educators to supply the very best care and schooling doable to Yukon kids.”
–Yukon Minister of Well being and Social Companies, Pauline Frost
“As we reopen our financial system following COVID-19 shutdowns, Yukon households want entry to protected, reasonably priced early studying and little one care now, greater than ever. The Authorities of Canada is proud to put money into our little one care programs to make sure all kids get the very best begin in life.”
– Member of Parliament for Yukon, Larry Bagnell
- The federal authorities entered into bilateral agreements with all provinces and territories to supply them with $1.2 billion over three years for early studying and little one care applications, beginning in 2017–18.
- These vital investments in early and studying and little one care helped to create near 40,000 extra reasonably priced little one care areas nationally previous to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The federal authorities is now working with every jurisdiction to barter bilateral agreements that can present a complete of $400 million throughout Canada in 2020-21. Extra funding in 2020-21 will proceed to help the early studying and little one care sector and can construct on this success.
- Going ahead, the Authorities of Canada is dedicated to creating a big, long-term, sustained funding to create a pan-Canadian early studying and little one care system and to subsidizing before- and after-school care.
- The Authorities of Yukon’s motion plan for 2020-21 builds on its work from the previous three years and descriptions investments in: coaching for early childhood educators and college students; rural little one care; little one care areas for youngsters with disabilities; well being and security; and entry to little one look after teen mother and father, mother and father in addictions therapy and grandparents who’re major caregivers.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has had a big impression on the kid care sector. The Authorities of Yukon is dedicated to supporting the restoration of the territory’s little one care sector and, as acknowledged within the bilateral settlement, will regulate investments outlined in its motion plan primarily based on rising wants.
SOURCE Employment and Social Growth Canada
For additional info: For media enquiries, please contact: Jessica Eritou, Workplace of the Minister of Households, Kids and Social Growth, Ahmed Hussen, [email protected]; Julie Ménard, Communications and Social Advertising Analyst, Division of Well being and Social Companies, [email protected]; Media Relations Workplace, Employment and Social Growth Canada, 819-994-5559, [email protected]