The explanations are infinite
Job searching is without doubt one of the most hectic intervals in an individual’s life, proper up there with a demise within the household, divorce, and sickness. There’s a lot at stake, and it may be irritating. In Austin, the place we’re headquartered, we function a popular tech job group the place probably the most common query is “why didn’t I get the job??”
In nearly all circumstances, you’ll by no means actually know why.
Sorry. That’s disheartening, however it’s true. The optimistic aspect is that it isn’t at all times your fault. So, we’ve crafted a large listing of causes you didn’t get the job interview or job provide that you would be able to be taught from for those who learn from prime to backside (we promise this isn’t the identical previous rubbish you already know).
Don’t let this listing get you nervous, the concept is that there are infinitely advanced numbers of causes people reject one another, a lot of which might’t be helped. Bear in mind, the hiring particular person has so much at stake, so does the employer (it prices so much to rent, onboard, and retain workers), not simply you.
The hiring course of will be inhuman and indignant and your resume goes right into a black gap otherwise you by no means get suggestions after a cellphone or in-person interview, however arm your self with as a lot data concerning the course of and keep away from as many objections as doable. We’re pulling for you!
Job searching or profession refining?
It’s the robotic’s fault
1. Do you know that for those who apply on-line that your resume goes by means of an applicant monitoring system (ATS)? And in case your resume didn’t match the job description (that means not one of the key phrases they have been in search of have been used), the robots didn’t even give your resume to their HR human? Take note of job descriptions and tailor your resume to every software accordingly.
2. Generally the applicant monitoring system (ATS) the place you despatched your software on-line kicked out a rejection letter with out the hiring supervisor understanding. It occurs.
3. You place your resume on one generic job search web site that guarantees to ship it to a whole bunch of employers (however is de facto simply there to promote your info to 3rd events). At no level did you apply immediately, by means of a 3rd celebration recruiter, throughout numerous platforms, and so forth. Making use of on among the junk job search websites just isn’t at all times making use of (we don’t imply Certainly or Cube or respected manufacturers, however the “apply as soon as to a trillion random jobs” platforms – be cynical).
It’s the hiring supervisor’s fault
4. Generally it actually isn’t your fault, the recruiter or hiring supervisor is imperfect. That’s harsh, however you’ll be able to’t assure that particular person might be perceptive and even skilled. The overwhelming majority are actually insanely good at their job, however they’re people too, thus they’re fallible.
5. The hiring supervisor is petty and/or shallow and didn’t like the college you went to or the purse you have been carrying or the automobile you pulled up in. You’ll by no means know you acquired a secret demerit.
It’s the corporate’s fault
6. Generally the corporate adjustments the job specs in the course of the method.
7. The corporate might need modified in the course of the method. Possibly the CEO is on the way in which out. Or there’s a brief hiring freeze, however they’ll’t say that in public. Or their funding standing is altering. Or the enterprise simply took an enormous hit and everybody’s scrambling.
8. They have been by no means hiring to start with and have been utilizing candidates for advertising and marketing concepts or free labor. It’s a sick observe that some firms commit.
9. Somebody that now not works there informed you to start out as a contractor and so they’d contemplate you FT after 90 days, however it was by no means in writing and nobody is aware of what you’re speaking about and your contract is up and it’s not going to be renewed. You didn’t actually get the job, amigo.
10. Your interview with the Chief Hug Officer about what number of stars you give your self as a frontrunner wasn’t the suitable variety of stars and so they didn’t need to hug you in spite of everything. Or your cellphone interview with the 18 12 months previous social media intern the place you couldn’t identify any Marvel characters rubbed them the unsuitable method. Corporations have distinctive interviewing strategies that contain people, and a few are simply plain foolish.
11. The corporate’s not prepared to simply accept your kind of Visa or citizenship standing.
It’s timing’s fault
12. There was a candidate interviewed earlier than you utilized that they actually like and are ready for a proposal acceptance from. And now they’ve mentioned sure and also you’re out and unhappy, and I’m sorry.
13. Another person took precedent (an inner rent, an ex-colleague, or somebody the CEO mentioned they know and is the brand new rent it doesn’t matter what).
It’s another person’s fault
14. Somebody unexpectedly gave you a foul reference and chances are you’ll by no means find out about it.
It’s your fault
15. Let’s begin with the plain repetitive junk you already know – you may have a foul resume or cowl letter. There are purple flags, incomplete info, grammar errors, it’s too lengthy or to quick, tremendous generic, and/or by no means expressed the way you impacted any firm’s backside line.
16. You couldn’t reply fundamental questions (“why did you allow your final job?” or “why have been you solely at X place for 3 months?”). Otherwise you answered any variety of interview questions poorly. Otherwise you have been requested to critique one thing concerning the firm and also you wailed on their shortcomings relatively than provide a optimistic, adopted by a significant critique with actionables, closed with a optimistic.
17. You made a mistake in your software (you labored at Google from 1904-2006?) otherwise you straight up lied. Some firms do fundamental employment checks previous to requesting an interview, so that you higher get your story straight from minute one.
19. You’re not a tradition match. However wait, it’s not what you suppose – you’re not unlikable, they’re simply in search of a puzzle piece. Their division could be in chaos or the there’s already an A-type on the small group. Hiring managers take care of actually advanced conditions and it isn’t private for those who’re not the proper puzzle piece, regardless of your unimaginable pedigree.
20. You raised main authorized purple flags. Nothing says you propose to sue like vaguely saying “I’ve schizophrenia, is that going to be an issue?” or “I’m unsure working for a male boss is an effective match, do you may have somebody I can reply to that’s feminine?” or “what’s your coverage on intercourse within the office?”
21. Talking of authorized purple flags, you set your image in your resume which tells delicate employers “I’m doing this so later I can say I didn’t get the job due to my [gender, race, etc.]” Discrimination isn’t any joke. It occurs, and also you don’t need to put an employer in an uncomfortable scenario – your image’s already on LinkedIn. That suffices.
22. To “the place do you see your self in 5 years?” You mentioned “in your job” to be intelligent or “President of the corporate” with out clarification. Come on, folks. The way you reply that demonstrates your intent on longevity within the firm, your willingness to maneuver up, your need to be a frontrunner, not supplant your interviewer.
23. You utilized to principally each function within the firm and now they take you severely for none.
24. You utilized for a Senior-level function whenever you’re barely entry-level.
25. You requested nothing concerning the firm or function through the interview. That is sadly widespread and really easy to repair.
26. You knew nothing concerning the firm through the interview. Do your analysis, folks.
27. You failed a required technical check or psych profile and there actually isn’t any getting back from that. Goal necessities are simply that – goal.
28. Your work historical past is unstable, too quick to be relevant, and/or full of holes you’ll be able to’t (or didn’t) correctly clarify.
29. You’re lacking a certification or schooling degree the employer needs (both publicly or secretly).
30. You’re too educated – your PhD is scaring them into considering your wage calls for may quickly enhance even for those who’re at the moment amenable to minimal wage. That is based mostly on countless research and experiences of individuals settling – they don’t stick round for lengthy.
31. You forgot to incorporate your persevering with schooling (coding programs, skilled management retreats) since you thought they have been irrelevant. They’re not – they present that you just take initiative and desirous to at all times be taught extra.
32. You ghosted in some unspecified time in the future or have been gradual to reply.
33. You arrived (or referred to as) method too early or method too late.
34. You have been impolite to the receptionist.
35. You have been overly acquainted through the interview since you’ve carried out a lot analysis and really feel like you recognize the corporate so properly. This trait says you’ll be an unruly group member and can doubtless disqualify you. Be a professional, even when you recognize the hiring supervisor personally – the rest is disrespectful.
36. Somebody random within the firm met you at a networking occasion 10 years in the past and when politics got here up you referred to as them a moron. They didn’t neglect, and also you’ll by no means understand it was even an element. Nevertheless it might need been.
37. You briefly dated the hiring supervisor’s dramatic greatest pal and over drinks, you come up and she or he tells horror tales about you – you’ll by no means be taught this was the rationale, however severely, it’s doable.
38. You have been sweaty (if that’s an issue, put on a sweat-wicking shirt underneath your prime).
39. You had a scent – both physique odor or an excessive amount of fragrance/cologne/axe deodorant.
40. You had a limp or overly aggressive handshake – some persons are actually delicate to that and chances are you’ll culturally offend somebody.
41. You checked out (or stared at) your cellphone throughout an interview when it wasn’t ringing. Or your smartwatch.
42. You weren’t memorable – some persons are simply boring or attempt to be overly calm. Bear in mind you’re connecting with one other non-robot human, so attempt to be no less than human.
43. Your desperation permeated the whole course of. They might scent it on you and it wasn’t interesting. Why? As a result of they know you’re going to take the job so you’ll be able to pay hire, however you’ll nonetheless be job searching and so they’ll lose you shortly, so why trouble?
44. You reside within the unsuitable place – they could be unwilling to pay for relocation and should display accordingly.
45. Wage negotiations went awry. They demanded your earlier wage and also you refused or they didn’t just like the quantity otherwise you’d carried out too little or an excessive amount of wage analysis, or possibly the job itemizing mentioned a variety and also you demanded triple (or they supplied lower than the vary).
46. You requested questions on the unsuitable time – don’t lead with “so what are the advantages and the way a lot time do I get off?” Wait till you recognize that they such as you already. Asking pay as the primary query, though an important, can disqualify you. This can be a delicate dance.
47. You failed some easy (in all probability silly) check like a gross sales function being supplied half wage and being tricked into negotiating their method up, or someplace on the job itemizing it requested you to “Like” their web page on Fb and also you didn’t, who is aware of?
48. You dressed poorly on the interview or have been method overdressed.
49. When requested for those who’re an evening particular person or morning particular person, you didn’t say you’re versatile, you mentioned you’re horrible at mornings, and now this firm that’s actually critical about productiveness beginning at 8:00am, is now not thinking about you.
50. You fidgeted or shook through the interview.
51. You have been awkward through the interview, possibly you held your bag in your lap or saved your winter coat on.
52. Your nerves obtained the perfect of you – you spoke too shortly or quietly or couldn’t cease saying “like” or “umm.”
SIDENOTE: Being introverted or socially anxious is a problem, so throughout an interview, gently categorical that so it’s not misinterpreted. “I do are usually introverted, however I need you to know that I’m obsessed with this chance even when I sound just a little shaky and nervous.”
53. You didn’t thank the interviewer (or act ) at any level.
54. You despatched an extravagant thanks present to the hiring supervisor that disqualified you because it seemed to be a bribe, not the type gesture you meant for it to be.
55. You adopted up too quickly and too incessantly.
56. You have been too cocky or too insecure.
57. You have been too keen and it got here throughout as insincere.
58. Your physique language was off (you used practiced/disingenuous hand steepling, otherwise you slouched, or possibly you couldn’t make eye contact).
59. You have been too scripted – you clearly regurgitated scripts you studied on-line (an excellent HR professional can see proper by means of that – they’ve learn them, too).
60. You sneezed into your hand and wiped it in your pants, then supplied it to shake at adios time. Gross, bye.
61. You trash talked a former employer or coworker (or the interviewer’s favourite sports activities group, or their faith, or them).
62. You didn’t chuckle on the CEO’s joke throughout a remaining interview.
63. You shared method an excessive amount of private data – not tales about vacay to humanize your self, however like made certain they knew you may have irritable bowel syndrome.
64. You have been overly apologetic about your previous relatively than calmly explaining that you just took 5 years off to be a keep at dwelling dad or mum, however you’ve saved your expertise sharp by finding out [X].
65. You saved speaking about why their competitor is superior.
66. You by chance referred to as them by their hated competitor’s identify throughout an interview.
67. You saved calling the interviewer “Jacob,” however his identify was at all times “Jason” and now he thinks you’ll be able to’t have a tendency to plain particulars (or is simply butthurt).
68. You’re making an attempt to pivot from one trade to a different and also you do a poor job of explaining that in any method, you simply hoped you’d get an interview (however it doesn’t work that method).
69. You’re painfully ugly or overly scorching. Sorry, it’s doable.
70. You’re overqualified and which means you may depart when a sexier provide comes alongside.
71. You’re underqualified which suggests they’ll must pay in your studying curve (which they gained’t).
72. Your credit score is terrible and also you’re making use of to a extremely regulated trade like finance or regulation enforcement, which can maintain you again.
73. You didn’t know that your legal or credit score historical past may not be a disqualifier so that you didn’t even strive. Generally firms are open to sure sorts of offenses, or you’ll be able to clarify the sickness within the household that destroyed your credit score.
74. You failed a drug check – this is without doubt one of the few cases the place you’ll know what occurred.
75. You pressured them on social media (you began “IBMShouldHireMichael.com” or began #IBMHireMike and had buddies apply it to Twitter endlessly, which is intelligent and has a slight probability of working if making use of to a digital media function, however nearly at all times simply comes off as annoying and overly aggressive – not definitely worth the threat). Plus, for those who trusted that being your hook and so they didn’t even discover, it was a massively wasted effort.
76. You’re so hooked on web jargon and slang that you just used it in your resume or throughout an interview (“btw, your sneakers are on fleek”). Put it aside in your tumblr, people.
77. Being cute with movies, on-line resumes in infographic format, and so forth, forces an employer to analyze you exterior of their regular parameters and will land you within the trash bin. Do these issues as well as to the normal resume requested.
78. Your social media accounts are offensive, full of rubbish, or overly sexualized – lock it down whereas on the job market.
79. You bitched concerning the firm on social media “cellphone interviewer at X firm was straight up retarded” — uh what!? This truly occurred not too long ago.
80. You didn’t categorical curiosity after the interview. In reality, you’ll have closed with “properly I’ve a number of extra interviews to finish, so I’ll must get again to you,” hoping to show worth however actually pissing off the employer.
For those who’ve learn this far, you recognize that typically it’s you, typically the celebrities simply didn’t align correctly. Generally you’ll get suggestions, however more often than not, your secret demerits will stay locked in somebody’s mind.
However now you recognize among the pitfalls that you just can repair, so you’ll. You possibly can solely management what you’ll be able to management, the remainder you merely must let go of.
Let this info empower you, not discourage you.
Good luck throughout your job search, and don’t let the robots maintain you again!
This story first printed in April of 2017.