The Options Journalism Community (SJN) has launched a database to assist join options journalism freelance writers and commissioning editors.
SJN’s Expertise Community is impressed by The Washington Post’s namesake database. In related vogue, freelancers provide data on their location, medium, earlier options journalism work, plus any story pitches they’ve. Editors can then instantly fee options tales based mostly on the freelancer’s profile.
Main the databse is SJN neighborhood supervisor Jules Hotz, who mentioned in an e-mail to Journalism.co.uk that the Expertise Community may very well be an important, free useful resource for each events.
Freelancers have discovered work exhausting to return by this 12 months as a result of editors have been preoccupied by the onslaught of main information tales just like the Australian bushfires, the coronavirus pandemic, the racial injustice protests, local weather change and in addition the upcoming US elections.
However equally, for newsrooms struggling to maintain up or in search of a brand new approach to cowl these big information tales, a solutions-minded freelance journalist may very well be an asset.
“Since newsrooms are understandably strapped in attempting to cowl these many, ever-changing tales, it appears more durable than ever for freelancers to get the eye of editors,” Hotz explains.
“Since options journalism takes time, and isn’t breaking information in itself, it may be exhausting for a freelancer pitching a options story to compete with 2020’s many crises for protection.
“Alternatively, so many editors have advised us that options tales complement their newsrooms’ breaking information tales by exploring how different locations have dealt with these crises, and reporting on the issue with a watch to who’s making progress to fixing it (see, for instance, our 1000+ stories on responses to the coronavirus pandemic). So, if a newsroom staffer would not have time or assets to inform these non-breaking options tales, freelancers can fill that hole.”
It additionally signifies that editors can look outdoors of their regular pool of contacts for the tales they produce, as SJN has acknowledged it is going to assist editors to prioritise journalists of color, as properly journalists experiencing monetary hardship from covid-19.
“Everybody advantages – the publication, the freelancer, and the viewers – when new voices are given a possibility to do the reporting, and produce with them their deep experience of sure communities and situation areas,” Hotz provides.
“And over the previous couple of months, I’ve personally seen many editors make an earnest effort to attempt to recruit new writers, significantly those that have been traditionally marginalised or have had their communities misrepresented, in response to our trade’s many biases.”
Why are we doing this? As a result of we wish to make it as straightforward as attainable for editors to work w/ new voices. And since we wish to be sure that the world’s options tales are being advised, no matter how ‘related’ the storyteller is. We’d like these tales now greater than ever! (4/)
— Julia Hotz (@hotzthoughts) October 13, 2020
To enroll, SJN provides these notes for journalists and editors:
For freelance journalists:
- Fill out this short form.
- Your responses will likely be made out there to editors who request to see the database of freelance profiles (word: solely editors representing paying publications will likely be given permission to entry the database).
- For the community’s preliminary launch, SJN will assist editors prioritise (1) journalists of color, and/or (2) journalists experiencing monetary hardship from covid-19.
- Editors will get in contact with you instantly in the event that they want to assign you a options story.
- E-mail Jules Hotz at juliah[at]solutionsjournalism.org to obtain entry to the database. Embody a couple of traces concerning (1) what kind of options story you need to assign, and (2) what you pay freelancers (word: solely editors representing paying publications will likely be given permission to entry the database).
- Precedence will likely be given to editors with publications represented within the Solutions Story Tracker®.
- Based mostly in your protection wants, Jules Hotz will advocate particular leads and/or provide you with entry to the complete database.
- When you discover a story or journalist that meets your protection wants, it is possible for you to to contact the journalist instantly.
On the lookout for a job within the media? Subscribe to our day by day e-newsletter and keep watch over our jobs board for the newest bulletins